David J. Cohen Law Firm, LLC


Child Support

Parents have a duty to support their children until their children reach 18-years old, or until the 18-year old or older child or children graduate from High School. Depending on the situation child support can go past 18-years old and past High School. The parent whom the child or children primarily lives and takes care the child the most is the custodial parent.  The other parent who has less time with their child or children is called the non-custodial parent. Child support is compensation paid by the noncustodial parent to cover the reasonable needs their child or children.  Support may also cover Postsecondary Education costs.  Actually, anyone caring for child or children can ask for child support.

Child support is determined by Support Guidelines in the Pennsylvania Rules of Civil Procedure as determined by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, which is reviewed every four years. Child support is broken down into two categories: (1) Low Income, which the parents combined monthly net income that is lower that $30,000.00 a month, and (2) High Income, when the parents combined monthly net income is more than $30,000.00 a month.

Once the child support is determined by the guideline there is rebuttable presumption that the amount is correct.  However, a Judge can deviate from the guidelines and child support can be decreased or increased based on unusual needs and unusual fixed obligations other support obligations other household income the child’s age the relative assets and liabilities of the parents
medical expenses not covered by insurance standard of living, and other factors, including the best interests of the child.

Parents must provide medical insurance to their children, at a reasonable cost.

No matter what the reason or why you are in Family Court, filing for support at Domestic Relations, or seeking custody, you are going through a very difficult time and making hard choices.  Let the David J. Cohen Law Firm, LLC, help lesser your burden by making the right choices for you and your child, so give a call or come on by.